Monday, May 22, 2006

Quilting with Linda

When I was eight years old, I asked my Grandma, Josie, if she would teach me how to make a quilt. She was always working on a quilt, so she had plenty of colorful pieces of material and a wide assortment of patterns. A four-patch was the pattern she decided to use for my first effort at piecing a quilt.
After the squares were cut out, she handed me a needle and thread. Then she gave me a thimble and said you won’t ever be to quilt if you don’t learn to use a thimble. She also said you had to make small stitches or you would catch you toe in them when they were on the bed. The stitches on my first quilt were anything but small, but after years of practice, I could sew just like Grandma.
I have used these skills to make quilts for my daughters. They each had a baby quilt I made for them. When Brandi got married, I made a sampler quilt for her out of many colors and put it together with yellow strips and purple squares. I made Vanessa a quilt called Guiding Star to use on her bed at college. This quilt was made of blue and yellow, Morehead State University’s colors.
The skills Grandma taught me, I can use the rest of my life. My daughters have no interest in learning to make a quilt, but maybe someday I will have a granddaughter who will want her Grandma to teach her how to make a quilt.

No comments: