Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Christmas Dinner

Veronica “What we do for children”
May 26, 2006
“Christmas dinner”
When I was a little girl Christmas morning at our house didn’t take a long time to do. My mother was a single parent of 4 children who didn’t get help from my dad. My mom worked 2nd shift at a factory in Richmond KY and she didn’t make much money. My sister and 2 brothers were used to not getting a lot for Christmas, but my mom made sure we had a big dinner with all the trimmings. I can remember kids in the neighborhood getting 8 or 9 presents a piece, but their dinner being non-existent or very slim. I was about 15 years old when I had a big Christmas morning. My sister had started working with my mom so there were two incomes coming in. During the night my sister hung new curtains and laid new rugs down. I don’t know where she had kept them but there were all kinds of presents for us to open. I was so excited I had never seen our house with that many gifts. I guess that feeling of not having much on Christmas has stayed with me; because I try to have several gifts for my own children on Christmas morning so they don’t have that feeling. I do believe that if I were ever in the predicament of not having the money to spend a lot on Christmas, my children would be fine with it as long as I had a Christmas dinner.

No comments: